Montag, 31. August 2009

Freedom Party Austria: More Feedback

Two posts down this blog, you see a message by a reader that thought I was too harsh about Carinthia's xenophobia and the Freedom Party of Austria. So I sent him a link to my article on Jörg Haider and the Freedom Party and received the following friendly reply:

---

Dear Benedikt,

I am forced me to recant my statement ; "too complicated and political to explain", since you do a very good job and do explain it very well, especially the corrupt political system. The summary of the Freedom party history is quite interesting, thorough without boredom. I always found it amazing, the tricks Haider would use to bolster his popularity, such as elaborate state visits to Sadam Hussein to tweak the nose of Uncle Sam and his critics.

Many Carinthians found this immensely entertaining as they understood full well, what he was up to. I'm not sure I would describe the party as xenophobic, though. Weren't they just trying to protect Austria from illegal immigration, people who came to milk the system. If you look at the Danish and Dutch experience, they learned the hard way.

I remember vividly my youthful summers spent in Spittal, comming home annualy to our family residence over the summers in the 60s and 70s and my parents engaging curious friends, neighbors and family, who would anxiously cross-examine us over everything in America. It was always fun and interesting discussions as they had a chance to get the real story from "die Amerikaner" as we were respectfully refered to. All knew, our family had found the "American Dream" and wanted to rub shoulders. Back then, Austrians had a hard time understanding, and did not want to accept, that yes, indeed, corruption existed in Austria through the stifelling control of the parties and was not exclusive to the US.

You describe that very well and I congatulate you and thank you for the link to the thorough, articulate description of the disgraceful party control over all aspects of Austrian commerce. May it be relegated to the dustbin sooner rather than later!

You are welcome to post my comments, anonymously, if you feel it would be of interest. In retrospect however, I feel that I was a little too harsh on you.


My best regards to you,

xxx

Keine Kommentare: