Sonntag, 30. August 2009

E-Mail from Rudolfsplatz, Vienna

Here is another friendly e-mail that I received yesterday - please don't think that I publish only positive feedback, I usually post all longer, substantial e-mails that I get through TourMyCountry.com regardless of whether the feedback is positive or negative.

"Dear Benedikt,

I am sitting in my flat next to Rudolfsplatz in Vienna's First District, and just came across your website. I'm getting ready to spend my second night in the city, since I arrived just yesterday, but I will be living in Vienna for at least two years.

Since I was a contributor to a blog, I know how much work goes into one, and, although I'm not in the habit of writing fan mail, I wanted to thank you for putting together a very informative and entertaining information resource. I've lived in a number of other countries, but I've never come across a website that provided such a down-to-earth and honest portrayal of a country. I think your website would be better, however, if you provided some background on yourself.

I think the personal information would help your readers to better evaluate your views and put it into perspective. For example, you must not be from Vienna, since you're so critical of the city, but knowing where you're from can perhaps also provide an insight on how Austrians from other parts of your country see Vienna. In addition, I wondered where you live now, and what took you away from Austria and whether you still live abroad. Information about your age and present occupation would also be of interest. As I read your website, I even wondered whether you were a man or a woman, until I saw the reference to your name. And judging from your family name, you might be Jewish, which, if true, would give your judgments regarding Austrian xenophobism greater credibility. In short, your personal story, posted on the website's home page, can provide another insight into Austria.

By the way, I had an interesting conversation with a colleague of mine, an American like myself who is married to an Austrian and has lived here since graduating from college. As we passed the Votiv Kirche, my colleague commented on the billboard in front of the church, mentioning that he knew the pastor very well, a long-time resident who is Maltese. I was personally shocked to see how the billboard obstructed the view of the church, but my colleague related how it happened. He said the pastor obtains a good income from the billboard's revenue, which is essential to the renovation, which cleaned the building's limestone and returned it from black to the original white color. The pastor said Austrians go through three stages when confronted by a new idea -- first they claim it is impossible to do, then they criticize it, and then finally they imitate it. (Evidently the other major Viennese churches have started to do the same thing.)

And thank you for letting me know that "Edelweiss" is not actually an Austrian song!

Best regards, xxx"

---------------------------

Here is my reply:

Hi xxx,

Thank you very much for your kind words! I appreciate feedback, since the website is a one-man-show, user feedback is the only measure by which I can improve the site. Regarding your suggestions to include more information about myself: I have to balance information because of the reasons you pointed out quite correctly (to underline the subjective character, to allow readers to evaluate my approach better, etc) with my drive not to make it too personal and blog-like (I hate websites that are done only for the sake of promoting oneself).

To accomplish this balance, I have a only short statement on the purpose of TourMyCountry.com with a brief biography of mine at http://www.tourmycountry.com/austria/about.htm (don't know if you have noticed that, but it is linked from the bottom of every page). For those that are interested in me in more detail, I think that a google search for my name will take them directly to my "professional" CV website at benediktmandl.com, where further information can be found.

As for your friend's analysis on Austrian behaviour regarding novelties: I perfectly agree with it. For this topic, see also http://www.tourmycountry.com/austria/lifestyle-culture.htm and
http://www.tourmycountry.com/austria/like-dislike.htm and http://www.tourmycountry.com/austria/badhabits.htm and http://www.tourmycountry.com/austria/features-austrian-people.htm (with the latter one I just noticed that it needs to be layouted and linked properly - as I said: Feedback helps me improving the site).

If you happen to have a website, blog or facebook profile - I would appreciate links to TourMyCountry.com! Thanks a lot and have a great time in Vienna (I am in Luxemburg for the summer and will return to Vienna in late September)!

Benedikt

10 Kommentare:

Anonym hat gesagt…
Der Kommentar wurde von einem Blog-Administrator entfernt.
Anonym hat gesagt…
Der Kommentar wurde von einem Blog-Administrator entfernt.
Anonym hat gesagt…
Der Kommentar wurde von einem Blog-Administrator entfernt.
Anonym hat gesagt…
Der Kommentar wurde von einem Blog-Administrator entfernt.
Anonym hat gesagt…
Der Kommentar wurde von einem Blog-Administrator entfernt.
Anonym hat gesagt…
Der Kommentar wurde von einem Blog-Administrator entfernt.
Anonym hat gesagt…
Der Kommentar wurde von einem Blog-Administrator entfernt.
Anonym hat gesagt…

Immer wieder informativ!

Anonym hat gesagt…
Der Kommentar wurde von einem Blog-Administrator entfernt.
Anonym hat gesagt…
Der Kommentar wurde von einem Blog-Administrator entfernt.